Water Transfer Printing
Liland Plastics, LLC, previously known as Syracuse Plastics, has invested in processes that enhance our overall offering to our customers. We offer in-house water transfer printing utilizing a variety of patterns.
What is Water Transfer Printing?
Hydrographics or HydroGraphics, also known as immersion printing, water transfer printing, water transfer imaging, hydro dipping or cubic printing, is a method of applying printed designs to three-dimensional surfaces. The hydrographic process can be used on metal, plastic, glass, hard woods, and various other materials.
The water transfer printing process is extensively used to decorate items that range from entire all-terrain vehicles and car dashboards, to small items like bike helmets or other automotive trim. Films can be applied to all types of substrates including plastic, fiberglass, wood, ceramics, and metal. For the most part, if the item can be dipped in water and can be painted using traditional techniques then the hydrographic printing process can be used.
If you have a product that you would like to discuss, please contact us.
The process to apply Water Transfer Printing is detailed and does require some specific skill sets.
- First the product requires surface preparation starts out with prepping the item.
- The surface to be decorated must be clean
- Then a primer is applied
- Then the desired basecoat is applied
- The selected film is then suspended on the surface of the water in the water transfer printing tank
- Then an activator is applied to the film
- After activation, the film becomes a form of liquid ink, which is suspended on the surface of water.
- We then dip the product through the ink, when the water is displaced by the product the ink wraps around the product.
- The product is then thoroughly rinsed
- Then the product is thoroughly dried
- Then the product is protected by applying a desired clear-coat finish.
Multiple levels of testing occur during the sampling and production process, for both adhesion and durability.
By offering a one-stop solution to Water Transfer Printing, we eliminate the need for outside services for molded product.
We also support Water Transfer Printing on various customer supplied products.
We have extensive experience in Water Transfer Printing, offering a variety of films, from a variety of film suppliers.
Click photo to enlarge.